Luke 1:67-79 (The Canticle of Zechariah)
1 Corinthians 10:1-6
Significance of immersion or water purification in the Old Testament
Crossing the Jordan – Joshua, Elijah, John the Baptist and Jesus
The Wilderness of John the Baptist
The Baptism of Jesus
Jesus begins his public ministry
The imprisonment of John the Baptist
John the Baptist’s inquiry from prison
The martyrdom of John the Baptist
Jesus teaches and heals throughout the region of the Decapolis
Amman, Wadi Rum
Madaba, Mount Nebo, Bethany Beyond the Jordan
Bethany Beyond the Jordan
Umm Qais, Pella/Penuel, Tel Mar Elias, Jabbok River, Dead Sea
Mukawir, Dead Sea
Experience a full day of exploration, contemplation, worship, and fellowship at the UNESCO World Heritage Site of “Bethany beyond the Jordan,” the biblical location of the Baptism of Jesus. Spend the night just steps from the Jordan River in pilgrim guest house.
Tour Madaba, home to the famed sixth-century Madaba Map of the Holy Land, and Mount Nebo, where the Bible says Moses saw the land he would never enter and was buried by God himself.
Visit Mukawir, the fortress where John the Baptist was imprisoned, Salome performed her infamous dance, and the prophet was beheaded.
Visit the Decapolis cities of Amman, Pella, and Umm Qais.
Immerse yourself in a desert experience in the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Wadi Rum, where you will dine under the stars in traditional Bedouin style.
Spend a full day of exploring the rose-red city of Petra, part of the ancient Edomite Kingdom, now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
1. A morning walk through the baptism site during the warmer seasons is preferable to midday/afternoon visits.
2. Arrangements in advance can be made by your tour provider for worship, celebrations, baptisms, and other ceremonies at holy sites.
3. Most tour operators can customize trips!
4. Remember that Mount Nebo, Mukawir, Madaba and Bethany beyond the Jordan are all within a thirty-minute drive from the Dead Sea. Likewise, the airport and Amman are easily accessible from the Dead Sea.
5. Expanded Descriptions of Holy Sites Available in "Biblical Jordan" guidebook, one of many guidebooks available for free download at MyJordanJourney.com.
Extended stay available for spiritual retreat, intensive study, or conference.
Venue options include pilgrim guesthouses near the Jordan River at Bethany beyond the Jordan Baptism site, Dead Sea hotels, Cabins in Ajloun Forest Reserve, Ajloun Baptist Conference Center and many more.
Combined destination programs can easily adapt portions of this program.